Classroom Management

Lindsay's PE Classroom


“ Behavior is managed through clear directions, follow through with expectations, reinforcement, and compliments for student effort.  Great behavior management.”

-Jim Rudsit,

Principal

Purdy Elem.

Posted Expectations

 PE Spots
 nGo to PE spots upon entry into gym and sometimes for transitions
nColor mark on the floor

nAlso serves as “color squad”

n“squad leader” is the first person in line and is in charge during group activity

nRotate once a month 
 
Everyone is waiting for instruction in their PE Spot
Transitions into Groups 

nTeam = color group

nFind a partner in your color group

nSit back to back with one other person

nMeet at center circle, divide 

Getting Ready for the Activity
 Equipment Transition
nEx. Partner w/ longest hair gets polyspot, shortest hair gets scarves.

nStations = all equipment is in basket

nEquipment gets placed back in basket before moving on.

nEx. If you have orange on your shirt, come get a ball.

nSquad leader gets enough equipment for everyone in group. (or collects)
Station Activity
 
Equipment is placed in baskets or to the side before moving on.

Students point to the next station so that I know that they know where they are going next.
 Restroom/Drink Procedure


nObtain restroom clip from me

nDrinks = during activity, not while teacher is talking.

nAt the end of class = 1,2,3,PE and then line up on black line. (end of class transition)
Organization of Pumpkin Patch Activity
n
nGreen, dark blue, and yellow sit on near blue line

nOrange, red, and light blue sit on far blue line

nOne color at a time pulls the pumpkin

nEveryone else throws balls from blue line to try and knock off the pumpkin 

Students sitting by group
Pumpkin Patch Activity

Squad Leaders returning the pumpkins.


“Well organized, great activities.  Interaction with students is positive and motivating.  Lindsay teaches specific skills that facilitate success, engagement, and motivation.”

- Jim Rudsit,

Principal

Purdy Elem.

 The End of Class
nWhen I say, "Go" return your ball to the basket.
Returning the balls- "Can we clean up in 10 seconds?"

nThen, get a PE drink 

nThen, line up 
Behavior
Pointing out positive behavior is the best means of behavior management.
 


nHowever,
If not following rules = PE time out

nAfter a few minutes, I debrief

ØWhy did I send you over here?

ØWhat are you going to do differently?

ØAre you ready to follow the rules?

nIf really bad, they get a check (Panther Club) or “detention” 
Sample de-briefing with a Kindergartener:


ØWhy did I send you over here?

I wasn’t listening to directions

I was moving the parachute in waves

ØWhat are you going to do differently?

I will listen to your directions and do what you say because I want to participate

ØAre you ready to follow the rules?

Yes